It’s the first of March, is anyone still motivated by their New Years Resolution? Probably not. Let’s face it, by about the second week of February, the treadmill starts to double as a clothes-line. That conniving Little Debbie may have even worked her way back to your food pantry. Deep breath! You are not alone, especially when your healthy motivations start to dissipate.
People tend to lose motivation when they are bored and/or not seeing results. If goals were easy to hit, we would all be walking the runway, right?. Be patient and set mini-goals to reward yourself in the interim. My running theme in my blog posts is we are all human and possess human frailties. Falter on Friday night, at the movies, it’s okay, Saturday is your next opportunity to succeed.
SIMPLE STRATEGIES TO HELP YOU STAY MOTIVATED:
- What is your motivating force? The WHY. You must have a reason as to why you want to succeed. Whether it is to be healthier, to be sexier to your partner, to be outside more exercising, or to learn to cook healthier foods for your family.
- Have an attitude of expectancy. YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW. Say aloud each morning to yourself in the mirror, “I expect something good to happen for me today!”
- Build a support team. Surround yourself with like-minded people. Not everyone in your life are going to be on this same journey. The key is to expand your circle of friends, pull in new people who you can help and, in turn, will help you. Who doesn’t need more friends? Pick people as teammates who will shoot straight with you. People who will know the day that you need that one motivating text telling you to stay focused, while another day they should know you just need a frozen yogurt.
- Make a game plan. There is a very popular saying: “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.” When you take time to plan, you allow yourself to think through the entire process from beginning to end. This can spark ideas, improve productivity and ensure a great outcome. Once you have a written agenda, you are immediately going to be motivated to accomplish it. Without one, you have nothing to run with and end up feeling stuck.
- Don’t worry, Be happy! The Dalai Lama was once asked what surprised him most about humanity. “Man,” he answered. Why? “Because,” said His Holiness, “he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
So put down the moon pie, and hang those clothes back in the closet…what’s your game plan, teammate?