It’s time we celebrate our guilty pleasures, I eat a healthy gluten free, sugar and dairy free lifestyle, about 80-85% of the time. The other 12-20% I eat like a high school middle linebacker, and you know what? It’s okay. Life is short and time constrains allow for us all to be human. I imagine even Cindy Crawford goes out and grabs an occasional burrito, when the urge overwhelms her. Guilty pleasures are a part of my life and can be a part of your healthy, common-sense, eating. Let’s face it, life is a give and take…life is about balance. So maybe we should tilt the scale to pleasure, and drop the guilt. Don’t lose a grip long enough that the girl at McDonald’s knows you by your first name, but ease up a bit and indulge. Your body is craving it, listen to your body. The dietary mini-vacays will make the 85% of your time even more focused and the big picture of life-long, positive eating choices will be sustainable for just that, your life.
My go-to indulgence is one word: Burger. The DFW Metroplex has a vast array of mouth-watering hamburgers, but below are a few of my favorites:
1. House Burger at Fixture Kitchen & Social Lounge, in Cowtown: Angus beef, cheddar cheese, fried egg, bloody Mary ketchup, on a kolache bun.
2. The Olivia Darling at Rodeo Goat, Fort Worth and Dallas: Kalamata olive tapenade, arugula salad, shaved cucumber, garlic and herb boursin, with charred tomato aioli.
3. The Burger at Maple & Motor, Dallas: A half-pound of Texas beef on a toasted bun, with all the usual suspects, nuff said.
4. Murph Style at Off-Site Kitchen, Dallas: Quarter pound of Angus, flat top onions, lettuce, mayo, tomato, pickle with a Village Baking Company bun, “Murph-Style” = American cheese, secret sauce and a jalapeño/bacon relish beyond belief.
5. Heritage Pork Burger at Ellerby Fine Foods, Fort Worth: House-made BBQ sauce cheddar, creamy creole mustard slaw, house-made pickles.
So there you have it. Get on that bike and ride a few miles…then pull into your favorite spot and chow down. Food is nourishment, but it’s also a blessing, to be enjoyed. Don’t get frustrated, get balanced and you will find your way to simple wellness, without the guilt.